Collection of samples with light circles in bokeh.
This test is not enough to understand the differences in bokeh between different lenses. But some examples can be useful.
Tests conditions: lenses were focused on to minimal distance, lights were fixed in more than 200m. The position of the camera did not change. All pictures are taken from the same position.
All shots have been taken with apertures from fully opened up to F5.6 (or F8 once). ISO 400. Shutter Speed – depends on light (camera A-mode with exposure compensation), WB – fixed and the same for all shots. SteadyShot – OFF. ARW files have been converted in Capture One without any correction, resized to 1200×800 and combined into diagrams.
Such scenes can’t be meet often, so this is demonstration of extreme conditions. In most cases of real life photography the blur level will be less.
It’s better to open samples in new browser tabs in 100% size for convenient comparison – all samples are clickable.
For this comparison the special photo-session has been performed. That’s why most of these samples are used only here and aren’t used in reviews of lenses. To read a reviews please follow the linked tabs with anime characters.
Additionally, I can recommend a few combinations which can be interesting for readers:
- Minolta MD 24mm F2.8 vs. Minolta 24mm F2.8 VFC
– this lenses have no differences in IQ, but have a different optical design
- Minolta MD 28mm F2.8 (7×7) vs. Minolta MD 28mm F2.8 (5×5)
– one of most often question about Minolta lenses – does this pair make a similar pictures?
- Minolta MD 35mm F2.8 vs Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 35mm f/2.8 ZA
– old-school vs fashionable label
- Minolta MD 50mm F1.2 vs. Minolta MD 50mm F1.4 vs. Minolta MC 58mm F1.2
– no winners or losers, just interesting to see the difference between the best fifties ever
- Minolta MD 50mm F1.7 vs. Minolta MD 50mm F2.0
– cheap and cool permanent competitors
- Minolta MD 50mm F1.7 vs. Chiyoda Kogaku Super Rokkor 50mm F1.8 vs. Chiyoko 50mm F2.0
– SLR vs RF – a difference
- Canon S 50mm F1.5 vs Canon S 50mm F1.8
– it’s like a baby’s questions ‘who is stronger, shark or lion?’
Minolta MD line – rectilinear line
Minolta MD line – special line
Minolta MD 50mm f/3.5 Macro – review is planned. Will not soon.
Minolta MD 100mm f/4 Macro – review is planned. Will not soon.
Minolta MD 500mm f/8 RF – review is planned. Will not soon.
Minolta MC line
Sony E line
Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 35mm f/2.8 ZA – review is planned. Will not soon.
Chiyoda Kogaku Super Rokkor line
Canon S line
I’ll try to continue…